Well, I've been doing a lot of reading, seeking, reaching for hope lately. Getting hyper focused on the "news" from media outlets, overhearing too many mindless, soul-less conversations, and even looking closely at the sides of the road on my way to work, all leave me in a dark place. I know it is important to be aware of these realities, if only to push against them and strive for better (for humanity, for the environment, for the future). But it is a tricky balance. And often my eyes and ears are almost desperately casting about for something bright and good to land on.
In a Mind Body Workshop I recently attended, we were encouraged to spend a little bit of dedicated time everyday to appreciating, noting, listing things that brought us joy, gave us hope and positively influenced our day.
Here are a few of mine:
• One bright orange giant zinnia blooming/blazing in a mass of green after a torrential thunderstorm
• A very elderly gent on his daily walk down the soggy morning street in a hot pink t-shirt
• Ten minutes of lovely morning quiet to sip my coffee and read
• Greg Greenway's song "Standing on the Side of Love" with the soul-tugging strains of Pat Wictor's slide guitar...the best kind of music for a morning commute!
• The man with the shiny bald head and twirly mustache who kindly held the door for me this morning
• The discovery of another amazing family making a change at Path to Freedom
What's bringing you hope today?